Galaga 1990

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue May 25 23:34:25 EDT 2010

Hi "Generic":

I took a look at your stack and you've done everything right from a
conceptual standpoint.  All your code makes sense.  The problem you're
running into is Rev's "real world" behavior and performance -- Rev is not
multi-threaded and is not suited to managing lots of sub-second messages
simultaneously.  The practical way to do what you want is to use a single
master repeat loop that handles all animation, movement, key tracking etc.
This may seem counterintuitive to what you're trying to teach, but it's
really the only way to get any smooth performance out of Rev that's suitable
for a game.

I modified your stack as an example of one way to enhance performance.
Execute the following in your Rev message box:
go url "http://www.tactilemedia.com/download/Galaga_1990_mod.rev"

All the code is at the stack level.  Shots are limited to one at a time on
screen, which of course you can change.  Given what you've built so far, I
think you'll be able to easily grasp what's going and modify as needed.

Good luck.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director