How to "Dial" Using Rev ?

Douglas dougtechie at tiscali.co.uk
Tue May 25 16:37:39 EDT 2010

Hi Jaque,
Surely Gary must have a phone line and relatively old iMac with built-in
modem, or at least a modem, or he wouldn't be wanting to use what he
assumes to be a dial-up routine to an external device?

It's over 15 years since I did anything with at AT codes, but I can
remember the pain of having to look them up every time I went to a
service call where I didn't know the hardware.

AT is the required prefix to initiate any command.
The AT does not have to be repeated for each command and one string can
contain many commands.
S7 is the number of seconds to wait for carrier signal when the other
end answers
Ln is the Loudness of the modem speaker (usually 0-3)
DT is Dial using Tone

So in this case, the command is "ATS7=1L0DT" followed by the number and
a Carriage Return
meaning :
Wait 1 second for carrier when the other end answers. (ie it must start
quickly after picking up.)
Set speaker level to lowest.
Dial the number using Tones.

So, if you are reading this Gary:-
Please tell us what you are actually wanting to do and if you have a
built-in or USB modem.
ie. Why do you want to use this routine, when you don't really know what
it is?

Douglas