Possible virus warning

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 19 00:15:06 EDT 2010

stephen barncard wrote:

> Google didn't choke on this guy and they appear to be binary... images......

I moved the attachment over to a machine I keep quarantined for such
explorations, and un-rarred it.  In addition to the images there are
also some very small Java source files and a Rev stack.  I don't have
Rev on my quarantine machine so I wasn't able to run it, but looking at
the raw data for the stack file it appears to be a runnable stack with a
fairly innocuous script.

Either someone went to a lot of work to make a very convincing Trojan
horse targeted specifically at the Rev community which uses some obscure
and tiny data-embedded hack that eludes most normal means of reviewing
the file contents, or this was sent out to the use-rev list members by
some weird tech glitch that I can't figure out.

Either way, since I got my copy of that potential-Trojan-horse just
minutes after the Rev forum was taken offline from an apparent DoS
attack, it's hard not to imagine there may be some connection between
the two.

Whether the email is part of the culprit's work or just another victim
like all of us who shouldn't have rec'd that unsolicited email remains
to be seen.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World