Revolution Standalone + Norton Internet Security

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Mar 12 23:20:57 EST 2010

mstrayer1 at comcast.net wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm new to revolution and have run into a problem.
> I've made a simple little standalone application
> (4 text fields, 1 label, 1 button). Right now all that
> it does it that when the button is pressed it place the
> contents of one of the fields into the label. The
> system that this is being run on is Windows7 64bit
> + Norton Internet Security, both with latest updates.
>

> The first time I tried run the standalone I was rewarded
> with multiple messages for NIS stating that the application
> was behaving suspiciously . I told NIS to allow the application
> to continue running and everything works fine.
>

> Of course this presents major heartburn for any distribution
> of the find product since most end users won't be thrilled by
> a bunch of NIS warnings, I know I wouldn't.
>

> So, the question is, has anyone else run into this and what
> can I do to stop it.

Oh yes. One of my clients had all kinds of problems with their app
because Norton's kept flagging it. There may be a way to get Norton's to
whitelist your app if you contact them. In our case, we had to omit a
feature that used an external, which solved it. But your app doesn't use
an external and is pretty self-contained, so it sounds like Norton's has
upped the ante lately.

Norton's may honor a manifest if it is built into your app, but I'm not
sure.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com