AW: OT: locking software to one specific machine?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Mar 4 15:51:35 EST 2010

Jeff Massung wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Richard Gaskin
>> I agree with everything else you wrote, and it seems very reflective of
>> much of the Delphi Anti-Cracking FAQ, but on this I'm confused:
>>
>> It seems like we're saying the same thing about obfuscation. Or maybe I
>> just wrote poorly.
>>
>> Having obscure, small handlers in your validation scheme calling other
>> obscure, small handlers, some of which are are red-herrings, seems to only
>> further obfuscate the code, no?
>>
>> At least, that was what I had intended to suggest. I think we're in
>> agreement here, unless I misunderstand something.
>
> Fundamentally, I this we are in agreement. My experience here has been that
> calling out to any other code (even red herrings) just increases the number
> of possible failure points that a cracker can hone in on... and they only
> have to break one.
>
> While you don't want to funnel the registration check into a single
> location, you just as equally don't want to explode the code location of the
> registration check as opposed to exploding the number of places where the
> check is located.

Ah, I see.  Thanks for the clarification.  Yes, that makes sense.

> Jeff M.
>
> P.S. I like this thread... dunno why, but I really get into things like
> this. ;-)

Yeah, me too.  The Delphi Anti-Crack FAQ was one of the more fun reads
I've come across.  It's almost too bad that I'm not all that concerned
about piracy anymore, since it's kind of fun to play with.  I suppose
another good outlet for that sort of thing is securing Internet
transmission - got any tips there? (esp. since we don't have SFTP)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World