Faking OS X text field behaviour (was: Good books on Cocoa dev?)

Scott McDonald runrevplanet at smpcs.server101.com
Wed Mar 3 16:24:13 EST 2010

Ian,

Ian Wood-3 wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. It would certainly save me a lot
> of time if this could be done in Rev, so maybe it's time to look from
> a different direction - how do we make a Rev field as OS X-like as
> possible.

I understand why the RRP SpellCheck doesn't meet your needs, and you have
certainly made several comments that give me ideas to work on.

But you are right, the Rev field is not native enough for your users. For
example, the way of marking unknown words when doing the contextual check
was something I thought about a lot during the design.

anything but dashed red underlining is going to leap out

While Windows users expect a red wriggly line. I couldn't figure out an
efficient way to get those types of visual effects, so in the end just
decided to work within the bounds of what the standard field object can do.

the target audience have been adding words (place names, people's names) to
the OS-level dictionary.

I'll look into ways of priming the RRP SpellCheck with the words already in
the Mac dictionary.

Thank you for the comments, you've left me with plenty to think about and
ideas for future work -- although a lot depends on having extra capabilities
in the Revolution field object. Since a key feature of my spell checker is
cross-platform support this means unless it can be done in Revolution I am
unlikely to do it.

Of course, if I do figure out how to fake it, I'll let you know.

Scott.
www.runrevplanet.com