Stacks with transparent background

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Jun 8 16:47:20 EDT 2010

Recently, David Bovill wrote:

> Before I dive in with masks, multiple stacks and the like - any advice on
> how to achieve a stack with opaque controls and a transparent background. It
> seems that due to the nature of the inheritance using the blendlevel to make
> the stack window transparent means that all of its controls will be at least
> as transparent - so you cant have an opaque control and a transparent card
> background / window.
>
> Maybe there is a nice trick here with inks? The only thing I can think of is
> scripting something to create a mask or use multiple stacks.

The short answer is, you must create a custom bitmap to mask the window, and
each control must have its own opaque region in the mask to make them
non-translucent.  Setting the blendLevel of the stack will not work, nor
will the use of any ink effects.

The long answer is in this thread (a couple of demo stacks are referenced):
<http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Vector-window-shapes-and-the
-great-mystery-of-ink-effects-td340450.html#a340453>

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design