[OT-Rodeo] Still waiting for the aha moment

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 22 04:24:29 EDT 2010

"If you can afford to drop your own money on overpriced hardware, then I
suppose you aren't in any kind of place to judge what I have to do to
survive."

This has been part of the reason I have installed Linux for some people.
One case in particular comes to mind, a thoroughly infected machine where
the shop charge of $100 to clean it up was in conflict with feeding the
family.   Its easy to underestimate these considerations if one is
comfortable.

I have never done it, have no intention of doing it, and don't live in the
US, but if it were genuinely a case of feeding the family, I would hackntosh
for my own use right away.  It seems that you get the upgrade version of
Leopard, which is heavily discounted but can be used for clean installs.
Get compatible hardware, and it seems to be perfectly doable. Dual booting
seems to be possible, but more complicated.

At that point you are installing a retail copy of software you have bought
on a machine you own, admittedly in breach of EULA, which is a civil matter.
The legal situation on copyright as long as you do not sell on is not clear.
There are protections for this sort of activity in the copyright law, see
section 117 of Title 17.

But it might be simpler and a better use of the time to just use Rodeo from
a webkit browser, even given the limitations, if that is the only objective!