Tips for multi-stack app?

Jeff Massung massung at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 00:09:29 EDT 2010

I must be missing something, because I just can't get this to work.

I've independently created two different stacks, with the intent of one
using the other one at a later time. I've done this so that I can update one
without affecting the other, and patching would be simpler (I hope), and
might even be possible on the fly without having to shutdown the app.

Now, each stack on its own works just fine. No problems. But, when I want
stack A to modelessly open stack B and send some commands to the controls of
stack B, suddenly nothing works. For example:

-- from stack A
send "newWidget" to group "Editor" of stack "B"

This command sends just fine, but the handler (which works fine) fails in
the middle because it references other controls on stack B:

copy group "Widget" into ...

And this fails because (I think) Rev is looking for group "Widget" on stack
A and not stack B - where the handler is executing. Then I come across the
defaultStack property, and because calling the "newWidget" handler, I set
that to be stack "B". Seems fine, except the handler still has the same
problem.

Any suggestions for me? I have to think this is a very common thing.

Thanks!

Jeff M.