[OT-Rodeo] Last minute call to get onboard with pre-realase conditions!

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 04:18:00 EDT 2010

On 07/20/2010 10:58 AM, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> Yes, this is indeed a complete showstopper, there is no Mac hardware in the
> future of quite a lot of us.  Its very interesting, in particular the
> Transfer package is very interesting, but nothing is interesting enough to
> move one back into that particular ghetto.
>
> On the future of web apps on Apple hardware, Jerry is certain that the fact
> that they are developing for webkit means that Apple will not be able to bar
> this, even if it turns out to be a way of providing users with apps that
> bypass the app store, and so means they have a motive to bar apps written
> with it.
>
> We'll find out together.  Apple is ingenious, in control of their OS and all
> apps, and ruthless with it.  The app store and associated control over what
> the users do is central to the whole business model.

It is funny how, historically, Apple and their camp followers have
pictured Microsoft as "the big baddy".

While, to my mind, Microsoft is a big baddy insofar as it seems to go
on producing flawed operating systems and gobbling up small software
companies: Apple doesn't look any better - tying its OS to over-priced
hardware,
dictatorial strictures on software and hardware use . . .

Hey, Steve Jobs, I'm installing Debian 'Lenny' on my macMini . . . take
me to court,
make my life misery because:

I am doing what I want with something I own!!!!!

[And this is the stinkiest thing of all; I sell you something and then
try to
continue controlling what you do with it]

Of course Microsoft don't sell you Windows XP; they licence it to you
for 3 years, after which
you are expected to pay some more to extend that licence!

Similarly with the block on revMobile apps. I have an electric kettle I
bought in Sharjah;
presumably it is meant for boiling water - but as it has a sealed
element it is just wonderful
for boiling eges, cooking beans and so forth - saved me many a time in
sleazy hotels! I wonder
how long it will be until some Steve Jobs-like character pops his head
out (probably from
where the cable disappears in the back of the kettle) and says "You are
only licensed to boil water
for tea in this kettle."

What I do not understand is that RedHat and other Open Source companies have
been doing very well financially on a business model that works on a
completely
opposite premise.

Personally, once I have paid hard-earned money for something the last
thing I want is some 'pillock'
telling me what to do with my purchase.