Rev and SnoLeo

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 02:25:40 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Medard <liste.revo at medard.on-rev.com>wrote:

> What about "The Missing Manual for On-Rev" ?
>
> ;-)
>
> This reminds me. For Christmas I received Snow Leopard the Missing Manual,
in it it states, as to why SnoLeo shuts down faster than previous versions
of OS X:

"to save time, Snow Leopard doesn't quit programs the way it used to - it
kills them. It checks to see if they have unsaved documents or un-backed-up
preference setting changes first, of course. But if not, it issues a kill
command to them, which terminates them instantly"

Note that this isn't just when you shutdown, but whenever you Quit any
program.

Surely this can't be correct?

I know with some of my stacks, if I get into a situation, like an infinite
loop, and I need to kill the process, that I end up with a whole bunch of
open sockets or DB server connections because the handlers to clean all
these up haven't run.

If SnoLeo kills programs, does this mean in situations where you haven't
changed preferences or a document (and I can imagine plenty of situations
where that isn't going to happen) cleanup routines are no longer going to be
run in Rev?