The seconds and time zones

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Mon Jan 25 23:53:05 EST 2010

I want to represent time snapshot independently of format and time zone so that I can compare the modification times of two items. The "seconds" looks like the way to go but I thought that it would get thrown off depending upon which time zone the computer was in.

I just saw this in the Rev dictionary:
Note: The convert command assumes all dates / times are in local time except for 'the seconds', which is taken to be universal time.

Does this mean that if I "get the seconds" simultaneously anywhere in the world it will result in the same number or would I have to account for the time zone offset. This definition makes it sound like it already takes into account the time zone offset.

Bill Vlahos