A problem with replicating a subgroup

planix dr.alistair at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 07:28:55 EST 2010

Hi,

The issue I have is a bit complicated to explain so I have uploaded an
example stack ("A Group Replication Problem") to revOnline. You should find
it if you search for me or look for a stack tagged 'Test'.

Basically, I have a scrolling group set up with a subgroup which I want to
be able to replicate as many times as I need. Each replication is managed by
a button ("New Case Plan") which clones the subgroup, changes some custom
properties, and then places the cloned subgroup a certain distance beneath
the previous subgroup. I can delete each replication in sequence back to the
first subgroup which is not deleteable as I use it as the 'template' for
replication.

This all works fine. I can press the "New Case Plan" button as many times as
I like and all the replicant subgroups all line up nicely in the scrolling
group. I can also delete any new replicant as expected. So, what I am saying
is that the code works as expected. Though I am betting that it is clumsy-
so any thoughts on how to make the code itself more efficient or elegant
would be welcomed.

The problem is this. All of the above works fine so long as I don't scroll
to the bottom of the group, so that the last replication is showing, before
I press the "New Case Plan" button. If I do that the next replication is
displaced well away from the previous one and is not the neat and tidy
separation that I expected. If I keep on doing that the distance between
replication becomes increasingly larger.

I wonder if I have simply used a poor approach to the coding of this
functionality and whether there is some simple and elegant approach that
would also solve this "bad" behaviour.

Or, is this a problem with having a scrolling group since the location of
objects within this is likely to become a pretty complicated reference once
you start to scroll.

Your thoughts on this would be most welcome. If you could have a look at the
problem in the stack on revOnline I would appreciate it.

All the best.

Alistair Campbell