Rev on kde

Malte Pfaff-Brill revolution at derbrill.de
Mon Jan 18 11:28:40 EST 2010

FWIW my observations:

Richard wrote:

> I use Gnome here, and haven't played with KDE in a couple years.  Since
> Rev adopted GTK support a while back I would have thought that more
> recent versions would also run under KDE, no?  What issues do you find
> there?
When testing a rather complex app (50 Stacks, huge amounts of XML data being processed)
under Kubuntu on a very decent machine (actually I got a bit jealous of what is under the hood
there):

Performance is rather slow. Especially screen refreshes. Drag and Drop is
not working very well (if at all). Everything that uses inks, slows down performance
terribly. This is with engine 3.x and up

Scrollbars (progress bars) are not rendered correctly. Only tested with 3.5

Everything is a little better when using Ubuntu without a k, however performance
is far from what I am used to under MacOs or Win.

I am not complaining. I understand it is a tremendous task to support an Os the
end user has as much control about as all the Oses they call "Linux" are. You can make
it be a tame penguin, or a 7 headed Hydra (it lost 2 heads, when it tried to install its
graphics card), with lions teeth (one of them carious, but sharp anyways), bears claws
and penguin feet.

Just wanted to share what I have seen.

Malte