Checking the Internet connection

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Fri Jan 15 10:58:47 EST 2010

Andre,

The topic of internet connection detection is a long one and so far, we
don't have an superb solution yet. The piece of code you put on your email
might not be ideal for some reasons, first it is blocking and might hang the
software for a while. The main issue being that you might be connected to a
local area network but not the internet, so until the dns thing fail and all
cascade from there, your software will be lost.

I think the best way to test would be to open a socket connection to a known
ip at port 80, this will fail faster than get URL if I recall correctly.

I can't search the archives right now but there were lenghty talks about
this some time ago.

Cheers
andre