Database access in revlet?

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Jan 8 20:59:19 EST 2010

One more report: I couldn't get the revlet to work with the shell
call, even when I manually selected Shell calls under the Security
settings in the standalone builder. In fact, when the revlet launches
and asks for the needed permissions, Shell calls is not one of them.
Process permission is requested, however, even though I hadn't
selected that setting in the Security settings. I'm wondering if that
checkbox is wired correctly in the standalone builder.

Can anyone confirm? Have you been able to get shell access in revlets?
(I'm just going to leave out shell calls for now.)

Devin

On Jan 8, 2010, at 6:45 PM, Devin Asay wrote:

> Well, as often happens, the act of posting about my problem triggered
> an idea of something I had forgotten to check. It turns out that I
> forgot I was doing some fancy shell calls to make sure the database
> port was open before  trying to connect to the db. Works just fine as
> a standalone, but the plugin rightly refuses access to shell calls
> unless you ask for permission. I had set it to auto-detect, and it
> didn't catch the shell call. At any rate, I just commented out the
> calls and it worked like a charm.
>
> Going home for the weekend. My head hurts.
>
> Devin
>

> On Jan 8, 2010, at 6:34 PM, Devin Asay wrote:
>
>> I know there isn't supposed to be any special setup required to run
>> revlets that access online databases (MySQL in this case). In fact, a
>> couple of months ago I took a stack that heavily accesses dbs and
>> made
>> it into a revlet, and it worked like a charm. But now I'm trying to
>> do
>> another one and it loads, but whenever it tries to make a db query--
>> nothing.
>>
>> Anyone have experience with this? I'm under the gun to get a project
>> up by next week.
>
> Devin Asay
> Humanities Technology and Research Support Center
> Brigham Young University

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University