If Monks CD-ROM - test download please

Brian Thomas insidepocket at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 18:57:40 EST 2010

Yes I know it is not an application, and there is a story attached to that
one Colin. But, it works, doesn't it?

Why?

Monks was more than an interactive presentation. There were 2 applications
-- a Journal and an e-book reader -- built-in, in addition to the
interactive presentation. Since we didn't want the user to have to have
enough memory to run 3 Revolution standalones at the same time (this was
planned out in last millennium) we put the Rev engine into one of the
standalone's -- so they would have to only have two standalones open at
most.

So, the Rev engine in the Journal runs the interactive presentation and the
journal application. If you open the Journal app you go straight into the
sophisticated Journaling application, if you open the document you go
straight into the Cloister and the interactive presentation.

*** Colin -- I remember fondly a few of the things you said to me when we
were building Monks like:

"If Monks had Windows they'd jump out of them."

---- It turned out that with Revolution Windows development was a piece of
cake. However, we were developing it at the same time that Revolution was
working out its bugs with the Mac platform and Steve Jobs was jerking that
platform around  every few month with a new version of OS X -- that changed
the underpinnings of the OS.

This is long, but, now I'm ready to tell the story. Just before the burning
of the CD's a new version of Revolution came out with something we needed,
but broke the perfectly sensible code we were using to launch Monks.

So, Sarah, from this Revlist saved the launch by writing for us an
Applescript that relied of our Monks creator code to launch Monks. And, I
thought, why throw away the old launcher, I think I'll just leave it on the
CD-ROM and call it "the back-up launcher" even though it stopped working.
Maybe someday it will work again...

And that, is really a nutty way to think. However, five years later, Snow
Leopard stop recognizing Creator Codes and Sarah's AppleScript stopped
working. Then I checked the Back-up launcher...

and it worked!!!!

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Colin Holgate <coiin at verizon.net> wrote:

> Do you know that the launcher file is a Unix document, and not an
> application?

Brian