OT: Any recommendations for some Mac OS x Apps?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Feb 26 13:41:33 EST 2010

runrev260805 at m-r-d.de wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am looking for some good alternatives for my existing windows apps, when switching/extending  to MacOSx.
>
> Under Windows I use
>
> Texteditor              :  Ultraedit
> IconEditor             : IconWorkshop
> FTP Client              :  WsFTP
> MySQL Frontend: HeidiSQL
> TextureTool          : Texturemaker

I use Graphic Converter for graphics. You can use it free if you are
willing to put up with a 10-second startup nag screen. GC will open over
100 different kinds of image files from any platform, which is a big
advantage. The latest version has a minimal texture-creation capability.
Its major restriction is that it does not fully support layers yet, so
if you need layering then you'll probably have to use GIMP.

I also use:

TextEditor: BBEdit (TextWrangler is the free version)
IconEditor: Icon Composer (Apple's free utility)
FTP Client: Fetch

Fetch is not free but is inexpensive. It mimics the Finder interface
exactly, lets you drag and drop files, allows you to edit files directly
on the server if you have compatible editing apps (very handy,) uses the
same keyboard shortcuts as Finder, and more. I like it a lot.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com