dropping to the Finder

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Feb 26 11:46:03 EST 2010

Jeff Massung wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> In one of my apps I have a list of things I'd like folks to be able to drag
>> to the Finder, and then when they're dropped I'll assemble the needed parts
>> and write them to a file at the drag destination.
>>
>> I can't figure out how to get the path where the user dropped.
>
> To my knowledge that's impossible (on every OS). As I understand the
> drag/drop paradigm, you can't see where something is dropped to if the
> target is another application.

But as Jan suggested, how do most FTP clients work?  In Interarchy I can
drop to any folder and it works great.  I'd like to be able to do
something similar - there must be a way.

> You may want to consider trying a different paradigm if you need to do some
> processing after the drag operation completes. For example, you could
> either:
>
> * Drag a folder from the finder into your app and use that as the
> destination or
> * Select the files and use "ask file" to save the "operation" to a target
> location.
>
> Just some thoughts.

I may have to resort to something like that in the short term.  What a
drag (pun intended).

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World