dropping to the Finder

Jeff Massung massung at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 11:22:51 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com
> wrote:

> In one of my apps I have a list of things I'd like folks to be able to drag
> to the Finder, and then when they're dropped I'll assemble the needed parts
> and write them to a file at the drag destination.
>
> I can't figure out how to get the path where the user dropped.

Richard,

To my knowledge that's impossible (on every OS). As I understand the
drag/drop paradigm, you can't see where something is dropped to if the
target is another application.

You may want to consider trying a different paradigm if you need to do some
processing after the drag operation completes. For example, you could
either:

* Drag a folder from the finder into your app and use that as the
destination or
* Select the files and use "ask file" to save the "operation" to a target
location.

Just some thoughts.

Jeff M.