Conference-DVDs arrived

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 01:53:39 EST 2010

On 26/02/2010 02:34, Kay C Lan wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 3:47 AM, Richmond Mathewson
> <richmondmathewson at gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> I learnt something extremely useful when I was at Carbondale from my MA
>> supervisor: NEVER, NEVER,
>> under any circumstances let your personal problems interfere with your
>> professional obligations,
>> AND, NEVER use them as an excuse for failing in any professional
>> obligations.
>>

> His name wasn't Morely was it?
>
> So let me get this straight, when my son was 3 he was bitten by a
> bamboo snake (can be lethal to children) and lay dying in a hospital
> emergency room and I was due to catch a flight to Tokyo for business
> and you're saying I should have left him there and gone - actually
> that's exactly how 'the company' reacted, so I guess i now know there
> are more people in the world who think like that:-(
>
> Your son/daughter/wife is involved in a car accident and may die but
> you're going to stay and teach a couple of Bulgarian kids English -
> the net effect of giving them an early mark and sending them home
> being absolutely zilch on what career they take up, who they marry and
> how many kids they have.
>
> Richmond, I had mistakenly concluded from another post of yours re
> 'looking past the facade of race, sex, ......' that you had some
> morale fibre. But alas what it appears you were expressing is, once
> you've sold your soul to the almighty dollar, everyone is equal in the
> eyes of the Devil.

All things are a matter of degree. Carrying anything to its reductio ad
absurdam
will show its silly side.

Of course your son's snake bite should take precedence; the compnay sounds
most inhumane.

What I learnt is that, if at all possible, one should not let personal
problems get in the way;
and that if they should, one has to find a way so that the 'customers'
are unaware that it
is a personal problem.

"Almighty dollar" . . . Ha, Ha, Ha . . . if that were the case I would
be back in the
United Arab Emirates earning in one month what I pull in here in a year!

> Sad.
>
> Bob Cratchit
> PS Give me a company with heart, soul and human frailty any day.

sincerely, Richmond.