RunRevLive.10: 72 hours left to save

Jeff Massung massung at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 15:35:04 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:16 PM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>wrote:

> Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>

>> Can't they see just how much damage they are doing themselves by behaving
>> like this?
>>

> Can you see how much damage you are doing to the company by posting an
> uninformed tirade on a publicly archived list? Especially when you don't
> know what happened?
>
> RR behaved responsibly regarding the DVDs, and this particular snafu was
> not their fault. If you want the reason, wait for the email.

Rule #1 of business: the customer is always right.
Rule #2 of business: thou shalt not break rule #1.

There's no exception to these rules - especially now in the era of the
internet where a single unhappy customer has a *very* loud speaker at their
disposal to let the world know just how unhappy they are and why.

It doesn't matter if the customer is being unreasonable. *Perception IS
reality*. Plain and simple. It doesn't matter if a bank is financially
unstable or not... the mere perception that it is will make it so.

If there's a perception that Rev isn't responding promptly and adequately to
their customers' needs, then Rev needs to work extra hard to correct that
perception.

I'm not taking sides, but I will say that Rev would be much better off
making amends with customers over this problem (regardless of whose "fault"
it is - the customer doesn't give a shit) than just holding onto a few
C-notes for profit and asking people to "be patient".

A happy customer will in the long run will make up for short-term revenue
loss in spades.

Rev isn't a perfect product. No product is. I've been able to work quickly
and efficiently in it (most of the time).

If I had one complaint, it would be that I have yet to ever see a Rev
engineer on the forums or in this list answering questions and actively
helping users to get all they can out of their product. Instead they've
chosen a business model that involves providing technical support for a
price. This leads to a perception that they have little-to-no support.

That perception is a *huge* problem, IMO. I'd put real money down that Rev
has lost a lot of potential customers before they even had them due to this
alone, which is sad.

Jeff M.