[semi-OT]simulating onSubmit in post

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue Feb 23 18:11:25 EST 2010

Hi folks,

I'm trying to teach myself how to GET and POST submissions to URLs
that provide simple web services, like word lookups and the like. I
understand the basic concept pretty well and can successfully
"harvest" data from various web forms. But I notice that often POST
method forms use JavaScript calls to validate data in the forms before
submitting it to the server. It might look like this:
<form method="POST" action="someurl.htm?loadpage" name="formname"
onSubmit="return Validate(this);">
In this case the Validate function is defined in the header and
basically returns true if the submit came from the form "formname" AND
all of the fields are filled in. It returns false if either of these
conditions is not met.

My question: Is it possible to construct a post command and/or header
combination that simulates this onSubmit event returning true? This is
basically an academic exercise to help me understand how JS and forms
work, and how Rev's GET and POST functionality works; I'm not planning
to distribute stacks that do this in any way.

Regards,

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University