displaying numerous large image files quickly

Mark Swindell mdswindell at cruzio.com
Sun Feb 21 20:00:39 EST 2010

Yes, using smaller images definitely reduces the display time... a batch of smaller gif/jpg line drawings only takes 1.5 seconds to display, but the idea is that the user can choose any image folder off their HD to create a custom, high-interest game (family members, friends, animals being studied (marsupials at present, mate).  If I include image libraries, I'll definitely batch shrink them to thumbnail size.  Jacqueline's suggestion of locking messages or hiding the images didn't yield much if any difference.

Here's another question:  If you lock the screen how do you update a progress bar?  I'm assuming you unlock it a time or two along the way, but with the screen unlocked load times are much longer.  Still, having the progress bar psychologically shortens the time, even if it is longer.  Light at the end of a tunnel is a consoling thing.

Thanks,
Mark