"the files", "get URL" and Unicode File Names

Jeffrey Massung massung at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 19:14:30 EST 2010

On Feb 21, 2010, at 5:50 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Igor de Oliveira Couto wrote:
>
>> I hear that a new version (4.5) is in the works. If this does not
>> break any confidentiality agreements, can a beta tester tell us
>> perhaps if any unicode issues are being addressed in this new
>> version?
>
> The road plan is confidential so we can't really say here. But rest assurred that unicode is a big part of future development. RR knows they need it to be internationally accepted. And I believe Mark Waddingham has now finished reading the 6000 pages of the unicode specs. :)

While the road plan may be confidential, after my evaluation period was up and I was considering a purchase, I emailed RR with a list of my concerns and asked what was in the pipe to address them. They were quite prompt with a reply. I learned that some of my problems/concerns were already handled (the reply even had sample code to give examples), some were being actively addressed - and I was told how - and some were just given lip-service so likely weren't on the road map.

I'd take some time, email RR, tell them your business, why certain features may be important to you, and ask them to be frank about where those features are on their roadmap (if they are at all). I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the professionalism in the response you get.

My 2 cents.

Jeff M.