[OT] Languages and cultures (was Re: survey)

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 07:43:23 EST 2010

On 20/02/2010 12:21, Bernard Devlin wrote:
> <snip>
> Having married a man recently, I certainly feel less than outré than
> in my youth.

You know, that is rather odd; I am married, and I certainly don't think
I ever conceived of myself as getting "married to a woman" -
rather; I got married to Snezha (that is my wife's name), Getting
"married to a woman" and "getting married to a man" should
stop, forthwith, as it degrades the person one loves to some sort
of biological entity. Getting married to the person one loves,
regardless of their gender, is a serious statement of love and
commitment - and I salute Bernard as well as all others who
have entered that sacred state . . .  :)

Nowadays, just getting married, in and of itself, is plain outré,
as nowadays, instead of always saying "I do like a bit of butter
on my bread" many people are saying;

"Now, you can butter your bread roll however you want."

http://www.princessoftheworld.com/2009/08/05/nobody-my-darling-could-call-me-a-fussy-man/