socket error 54?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 17 10:06:15 EST 2010

Bernard Devlin wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Richard Gaskin
> <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>> It does not appear to be the exact same point in the file; IIRC it varies by
>> a couple MBs.  I've tried it with Interarchy and a custom Rev-based FTP
>> client, with the same results:
>>
>> At home, using cable: Bluehost succeeds, and Dreamhost succeeds
>> At the office, w/DSL: Bluehost fails, while Dreamhost succeeds
>>
>> BH Tech Support tells me that they have no imposed limit on their end, but
>> given that I have no problem with DH I'm inclined to think there's something
>> funky with BH (well, something *else* funky, in addition to a long-standing
>> issue with server log configuration, but that's a whole other story).
>
> Have you tried it with a 25mb file that is gzipped?  Or how about one
> that is just 25mb of say 1 char?  I'm suggesting this in case there is
> some funky combo in your file that is causing the server to hiccup.
> If a binary file like gzip or an ascii file of letter A cannot get
> through, then it does point to their server/firewall/router config.
> Alas, something of which you have no control.

I'm using a Zip file.  Haven't tried gzip, but I suppose I could if it
would make a difference.

BH Support suggested I try toggling from passive to active, but their
server won't accept active connections so that won't work.

It may be easier to just use my Dreamhost account for this, where it
works great all the time with files of any size and type.

> Here's another suggestion.  Why not use something like curl or wget to
> transfer the same file using one of the 'continue' options?  Curl has
> a 'continue' option that works with PUT, so I'm guessing you can use
> that to continue an upload that did not work.  I've used this kind of
> feature with large downloads in case they fail half-way.

I'll look into that - thanks.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World