Help message Broadcasting system

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Feb 11 18:22:27 EST 2010

Kay C Lan wrote:

> Lastly, I'd probably use mouseEnter rather than mouseMove. Over a
> large field, mouseMove could be sent multiple times, causing your
> script to be triggered unnecessarily. MouseEnter will only be sent
> once.

I thought about that, and in fact the field doesn't even have to be very
large for it to trigger multiple times, but that's an advantage.
Sometimes mouseEnter doesn't trigger. MouseMove almost always does. If
the user is moving very fast or there is an overlapping control, you
don't always get a mouseEnter, and you only have one shot at it. Then
you also have to catch mouseLeave too, in order to empty the help field
text. So I think I'd still use mousemove here.

I used mousemove in my Klondike game, where each iteration executed a
very long handler, and there was no noticeable slowdown. That was about
10 years ago now, when machines were slower. So now I don't worry about
it any more.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com