Rev for Linux (was Re: iPadding around?)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Feb 2 12:25:32 EST 2010

Larry Snider wrote:

> An opinion from a list lurker...
>
> I would very much appreciate further development of a Linux version of
> Rev.  (And any other UNIX-type OS for that matter...)
> One aspect that apparently is not given much consideration is the
> enterprise/infrastructure.  Not everyone develops for profit.  Some
> people, like me, need a rapid development tool that can meet the needs
> of the users quickly and reliably.  My company has zero Macs at this
> facility but we have thousands of Windows PCs and many, many Linux and
> Solaris servers.

I doubt we'll see a resurrection of the Rev engine for Sun OS (though
oddly enough that was where I first used Rev, still called MetaCard back
then).

But for the benefit of other lurkers here, RunRev has no plans to drop
support of its Linux engine.

On the contrary, while I'm not at liberty to get into details I have
Kevin's permission to note that on the Enterprise list he recently
outlined some of the company's plans for enhancing the Linux engine.

By sequencing these enhancements with related work for other engines,
he's able to move the Linux build forward with minimal impact to the
larger development budget, a smart win-win move that benefits the
product line across all supported platforms (yep, RevMobile too).

The details and projected time lines for those enhancements are
proprietary and governed by my NDA with RunRev, so I won't be able to
answer any questions on this.  For now, suffice to say that the Rev
engine we're enjoying on Linux today will only get better over time.

This is good news for Trevor DeVore, Ken Ray, Bill Vlahos, myself, and
many others who are taking advantage of Rev's Linux engine to port their
wares.

And looking down the road, the folks at Ubuntu have made public their
plans to expand the Ubuntu Software Center to include commercial
products in the next version.  Replacing the old Add/Remove Software
window, the Ubuntu Software Center is a convenient way to find and
install apps, included with Ubuntu 9.1 and later.  In a recent Podcast
they said they're working on including a way of handling payments
directly in the Software Center as well, making it as convenient for
commercial app vendors to deploy to the Ubuntu audience as Apple has
done for music publishers with iTunes.

See idea 18538:
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter#Eventual%20scope>

Podcast:
<http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/2009/09/30/s02e14-the-centre/>

So whether your interest in Linux is for commercial deployment, in-house
tools, or just enjoying playing around with a secure, nimble, and free
OS for your netbook or PC, the opportunities for using Rev there are
looking better and better.

FWIW, Ubuntu ships on a freely downloadable single CD image that you can
boot from - you can try it out on nearly any PC without needing to
install.  If you like it, just pull out one of your old PCs from the
closet, use the easy installer, and you can give new life to a retired
system at no cost:
<http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download>

Note for Richmond and Judy:  Ubuntu makes a special version for use in
the classroom, Edubuntu:
<http://www.edubuntu.org/>

--
  Richard Gaskin