iPadding around?

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 19:13:37 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 2:35 AM, Larry Snider <sniderl at gmail.com> wrote:
> An opinion from a list lurker...
>
> I would very much appreciate further development of a Linux version of
> Rev.  (And any other UNIX-type OS for that matter...)
>
> !!(In fact, I would, more importantly, like the ability to compile
> command-line programs!  I could very easily write CGI tools for the
> web that would not require ANY plug-in.  Sorry.  I'm not a fan of
> special GUI web programming.)!!
>
> One aspect that apparently is not given much consideration is the
> enterprise/infrastructure.  Not everyone develops for profit.  Some
> people, like me, need a rapid development tool that can meet the needs
> of the users quickly and reliably.  My company has zero Macs at this
> facility but we have thousands of Windows PCs and many, many Linux and
> Solaris servers.  Yes, Solaris and HP-UX are still very alive in the
> enterprise arena so if there were a RunRev version available to me for
> those OSs I would be all over it.
>
> So, for all the naysayers who only want their preferred OS to survive
> to mature development then request away.  You're only screwing
> everyone else.  There's a whole other world out there to be
> discovered/considered.

Since I was the one that really started this whole thread, I guess I
am the naysayer you are referring too.

I assure you that I had no intention of screwing anybody. My main
interest is in the continuing commercial health of RunRev, so that my
preferred tool keeps going. To this end, I was suggesting that it
might be more commercially viable, as well as more honest to their
customers, if they re-directed their Linux team to the revMobile team.
That's all - it was in no way an attack on Linux/Unix or their users.

I realise that the Linux engine is essential for revServer, but that
doesn't need the development that has to be put into the GUI and the
externals.

Anyway, my apologies if you took my opinions for a personal attack on
Linux users, that was not what I meant.

Regards,
Sarah