[RevServer tips] Spreading the load or why wise developers use asynchronous workflows

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Wed Aug 4 18:53:04 EDT 2010

On Aug 4, 2010, at 4:07 PM, Jeff Massung wrote:

> This is a typical, safe setup:
>
> 1. Client web browser clicks a button on a web page.
> 2. Web server sends a command to a CGI script (running on the server).
> 3. CGI script makes a connection to the database and runs a SQL function.
> 4. The SQL function executes a transaction on the database.
>
> #1 is executed at some random, remote, external machine.
> #2 is the only socket action that actually takes place.
> #3 is run through the localhost loopback device to gain DB access.
> #4 is entirely done within the database server code.
>
> Something you can usually do as a quick test is to set your database up so
> that it only accepts connections from the localhost. Then run through all
> your tests. If any of them fail, that's a point where you are trying to
> access the database remotely and need to fix it.

Thanks, Jeff! This is a really useful outline that I can easily adapt to my work. I assume you'd want to follow this procedure even if you are making the db requests directly from a stack? So send a get or post http request to the CGI script from the stack and then process the returned data in the stack?

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University