[OT] GameOver Mr. Jobs

Jeff Massung massung at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 11:26:48 EDT 2010

Sorry for missing it (tone sucks in email). ;-)

I haven't really been following any of the "Steve Jobs" or new iP* TOS
agreement threads, but I do need to say I agree with most everything you
stated.

I don't know when this was posted to Apple's site and if it's already been
discussed here already, but Jobs posted a letter to the community detailing
his thoughts on Flash, which can also be read into the new TOS:

www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/?AID=10480621&PID=3821802&SID=188wkahuchtc7

Most importantly, as it likely pertains to Rev and other middle-ware
developers working with Apple on their TOS:

"We know from painful experience that letting a third party layer of
software come between the platform and the developer ultimately results in
sub-standard apps and hinders the enhancement and progress of the platform.
If developers grow dependent on third party development libraries and tools,
they can only take advantage of platform enhancements if and when the third
party chooses to adopt the new features. We cannot be at the mercy of a
third party deciding if and when they will make our enhancements available
to our developers.

This becomes even worse if the third party is supplying a cross platform
development tool. The third party may not adopt enhancements from one
platform unless they are available on all of their supported platforms.
Hence developers only have access to the lowest common denominator set of
features. Again, we cannot accept an outcome where developers are blocked
from using our innovations and enhancements because they are not available
on our competitor’s platforms."

Read into it what you will.

Jeff M.