OT: Microsoft is really annoying

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 16:18:12 EDT 2010

  On 16/04/2010 23:14, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>
>> Despite all this, I've _never_ had a virus or any kind of malware. My
>> only
>> system failures have been the occasional result of a RAM or hard disk
>> failure. So either I'm doing something terribly right, or you all are
>> doing
>> something terribly wrong.
>
> I haven't had a virus either -- that I know of, which is an important
> distinction -- but I'm spooked by the number of people who have. The
> numbers are astonishingly high. Reports like this makes me very
> uncomfortable:
>
> "Across the globe, the average number of PCs hit by malware now stands
> around 59 percent, an all-time high for the year. Among 29 countries
> tracked, the U.S. ranked ninth with slightly more than 58 percent of
> its PCs infected. Taiwan hit first place with an infection ratio of 69
> percent, while Norway came in lowest with only 39 percent of its PCs
> attacked by malware."
> <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10363373-83.html>

Would you buy a car which had a 59% component failure rate? Personally
I'd rather go for a FREE car with a very small component
failure rate (Linux); or a more expensive one with a very small
component failure rate (Mac).

Would you teach a class of kids when 60% of them were infected with Flu?
I wouldn't; last time I did I spent 48 hours in bed sweating
my way through a high fever.