RunRev and Linux

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 15:19:46 EDT 2010

  On 11/04/2010 21:03, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> <snip>
>
> That said, I agree that if a Linux version is available, it should run
> without problems on at least some distros. If you can isolate those
> problems on a distro that is stated to be supported (Ubuntu at least)
> then those certainly deserve some attention from the team. As Linux
> gains in popularity on the desktop, I have no doubt that the team
> could provide more expanded support.

Well said, very well said.

Unfortunately, I feel that Peter's antipathy towards Ubuntu has rather
clouded the issue.

Ubuntu cannot be ALL bad; the fact that it is the most popular distro at
the moment, and is largely
being used by people moving away from Windows says something positive.

Looking at the vast range of Linuxes out there it is probably extremely
unreasonable to expect
anybody developing a cross-platform RAD to have it running
lickety-split-perfect on all of them;
the obvious answer is to target those most widely used; and those that
tend to use the 3 most
popular window managers (GNOME, KDE and XFCE) rather than some of the
more outré ones.

I wonder if RunRev might like to consider asking some of the Linux
majors to include RevMedia
in their distros (Yes, Yes, I know a lot of them would purse their lips
and go "all funny" about not
including closed-source software - but an increasing amount of them are
realising that that is a
bit daft and that some of Richard Stallman's ranting purity is getting a
bit frayed round the edges)?

RevMedia (prelicensed) on live-disk distros might be quite a 'pull'.