Replace command

Peter Brigham MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 14:28:13 EDT 2010

On Apr 10, 2010, at 11:52 AM, David Coker wrote:

> Mark wrote:
>> put "Jones" into word wordOffset("Piper",tContainer) of tContainer
>
> then Michael added:
>
>> put
>>
>> Peter Piper picked
>> If Peter Piper picked again
>>
>> into fld 1
>> -----------------------------
>> -- use this script
>> -----------------------------
>> on mouseUp
>> put wordOffset("Peter",fld 1) into x
>> put "Jones" into word x of fld 1
>> end mouseUp
>> ----------------------
>
> There seems to be an easy consensus, so that's the direction I'll take
> my code...
> Up until now I have never attempted using the wordOffset function for
> the small things I've been building with Rev, so I guess it's time to
> work it into my coding routines for the future.
>
> Thank you folks so much for the advice and samples!
>
> Best regards,
> David C.

The code above will find and replace the first occurrence of the
string. For access to all the occurrences, use this handler:

function offsets str,cntr
   -- returns a comma-delimited list
   -- of all the offsets of str in cntr
   if str is not in cntr then return 0
   put "" into offsetList
   put 0 into startPoint
   repeat
      put offset(str,cntr,startPoint) into thisOffset
      if thisOffset = 0 then exit repeat
      add thisOffset to startPoint
      put startPoint & comma after offsetList
   end repeat