Desktop innovation? Future of the desktop?

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 7 02:40:45 EDT 2010

There's real innovation, for better or worse, going on in Linux desktops in
the last year or two.  KDE4 made an effort to redefine the desktop metaphor,
its probably just about usable now, and now Gnome from a different starting
point.  Its a bit lost on me, perhaps its a matter of age.  Simplicity and
bareness become more attractive, not just in computing, and I find a lot to
be said for OpenBox in desktop, or WMII.  But its very much a minority view.

Gnome and KDE are a lot freer to take risks than either MS or Apple, and
they are taking advantage of that.  I don't know that you would like the
latest KDE, but its worth looking at as an example of innovation in this
area.