OS9 Standalone

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Mon Sep 28 08:00:06 EDT 2009

Hi Jacque,

Unfortunately, you are partly wrong (but fortunately you may also be
partly right). If you create a standalone with a password-protected
stack in 2.4 format, Revolution will convert it to 2.7 format. This
means that a password-protected standalone created with Rev 4 will
never run on Mac OS 9.

To answer OP's question, I was unable to get any standalone created in
Mac OS X with Rev 2.7* or later working in Mac OS 9. There may be
several reasons for this. I might be using commands and functions that
are unavalable in the 2.6 engine, or my hard disk is formatted such
that the file system can't deal with classic resource forks, or the
new standalone builder forgets to add (parts of) the resource fork.

Whenever I have to create a standalone for Mac OS 9, I fire up my old
PowerMac, edit the stack in Rev 2.6.1, and build the standalone inside
the environment it is supposed to run in.

*) I write 2.7 for my own convenience. The OS9 option isn't always
available.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille