Deploy to Linux

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 17 21:41:51 EDT 2009

If its single user, which it likely will be on a netbook, put the app in a
folder in /home/user, and put the prefs and the data in that same folder.
If you want to make the prefs invisible make them , eg, .myapppreferences.

But this does mean that only that user will have access to the app.

If you put the app in /opt, which is more correct in some sense, because it
lets any user account get to it, then still put all user data, including
prefs for any particular user, in /home/user.

Richmond's advice is good:  if you compile on the platform you are deploying
on, you will be OK.  And his advice to watch out for fonts, and to restrict
your font use to ones that ship with all linuxes, is also wise.

Peter