There is a folder returns 'false' for folder selected with 'answer folder'

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Wed Sep 9 09:31:02 EDT 2009

On Sep 8, 2009, at 11:20 PM, Jim Bufalini wrote:

> Yes. Windows doesn't like forward slashes for folders. So, there is
> a file
> //computerName/folderName/filename works, but there is a folder
> //computerName/folderName fails. I really don't know why this is,
> but it is.
> So after your answer folder, add the line *replace slash with
> backslash in
> it* and it will work. :-)

Hi Jim,

I just tried that but it doesn't make a difference. I've never run
into problems myself with forward slashes and checking for folder
existence. I believe the engine makes the necessary changes under the
hood.

I did some more investigating and here is what I have found out.

When using the answer folder dialog in Revolution you can select
objects that aren't actually folders. For example, you can select "My
Network Places" or "My Network Places" > "Entire Network" and press
the "OK" button. What you get back is an empty string in 'it' and 'the
result' is "cancel".

Another selection you can make in the answer folder dialog is "My
Network Places" > MY_SHARE_NAME (a resource that has an icon of a
folder with a network cable under it). Selecting the network share
name returns a value in 'it' but the path does not actually point to a
folder, but rather the share. 'the result' is empty.

Selecting a folder within the share such as "My Network Places" >
MY_SHARE_NAME > "My Folder" gives a valid folder path.

So if you are using answer folder and wondering why the value returned
is not a folder then this likely why. In a few tests I just did with
'answer file', clicking the "Open" button would not close the dialog
box if a valid file was not selected. I would think that answer folder
should behave the same, although it would mean that a Revolution
developer would not be able to prompt the user for a network share
name (is that something people need to do?).

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems