Quicktime and the Snow Leopard

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Wed Sep 9 07:54:37 EDT 2009

Le 8 sept. 09, à 22:56, Björnke von Gierke a écrit :

> On 8 Sep 2009, at 17:05, Trevor DeVore wrote:
>
>> I hope there is more logic in the OS X installer then just "luck" ;-)
>> It would be nice to find out what the determining factor is.
>

> I don't have snow leper installed, but I've read the ars technica
> review.
>
> Basically there's two things going on. most more advanced quicktime
> features are actually not yet implemented in the new Quicktime Toolkit
> (QTKit). So for those features, 10.6 always falls back to the QT 7
> APIs. Meanwhile there is also a new QT player, dubbed QT X. it also
> lacks several features that the QT 7 player did have.
>
> The API's are all installed by default (and they need to be, as for
> example, QT X can't even crop stuff), and those features remain
> accessible for all applications that do use QT, for example rev.
> However, the QT player is not, and you need to manually do that by
> choosing the Quicktime 7 check mark in the installer.
>
> Read it yourself (35'000 words!):
> http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/6#qtkit
> http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/16

Le 8 sept. 09, à 22:56, Björnke von Gierke a écrit :

> On 8 Sep 2009, at 17:05, Trevor DeVore wrote:
>
>> I hope there is more logic in the OS X installer then just "luck" ;-)
>> It would be nice to find out what the determining factor is.
>

> I don't have snow leper installed, but I've read the ars technica
> review.
>
> Basically there's two things going on. most more advanced quicktime
> features are actually not yet implemented in the new Quicktime Toolkit
> (QTKit). So for those features, 10.6 always falls back to the QT 7
> APIs. Meanwhile there is also a new QT player, dubbed QT X. it also
> lacks several features that the QT 7 player did have.
>
> The API's are all installed by default (and they need to be, as for
> example, QT X can't even crop stuff), and those features remain
> accessible for all applications that do use QT, for example rev.
> However, the QT player is not, and you need to manually do that by
> choosing the Quicktime 7 check mark in the installer.
>
> Read it yourself (35'000 words!):
> http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/6#qtkit
> http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/16

I am currently reading this very good review, and it does indicate that
the APIs are still there.
While I previously said that it is beyond runrev's reach to build a
multimedia framework by itself, it is quite capable, IMHO, to create a
player object with the same functionalities as before and running
within SL.
Actually, it is probable that the runrev player still works fine (I
have not tested it myself, as I am part of the cowards who never
install the first release of an OS), since the APIs seemingly are still
here.

cheers
	François