revEnterprise dp-5 / revMedia beta / revWeb beta

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 30 09:32:22 EDT 2009

--- On Fri, 10/30/09, Richard Miller <wow at together.net> wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> Yes, this was what I originally expected. But it's not
> working as of yet during runtime... only in the development
> environment. Will this be implemented shortly (prior to
> launch) so that it works the same during runtime? What if
> the two stacks are sized differently? What will happen
> then?
>
> It would be nice to have answers to these now so that
> developers like myself can make adjustments based on fairly
> large items like this.
>
> I've discovered some other significant (for me) change to
> the runtime environment in the past few days. A traditional
> cascading menu (built with the menu builder).... which
> worked fine yesterday during runtime... no longer works
> today. The menu (which I dragged to the center of the stack
> so it functions as a button with cascading selections),
> depresses OK. The list of hierarchical selections show up
> OK. But any attempt to actually make a selection fails.
>
> Obviously, they are making substantial changes to the
> runtime environment on a daily basis. This makes development
> very difficult.  I can work around much of this and
> focus on other items, but it's the "not knowing what we'll
> end up with by 11/11" that makes all of this stressful, if
> not impossible. I actually don't think they know either. It
> seems to be very much a day-by-day situation. On the other
> hand, I fully appreciate the enormity of the challenge they
> face.
>
> Richard

Hi Richard,

Indeed, [go stack "OtherStack" in the window of this stack] doesn't work inside a revlet yet - and I stress the word 'yet' as the KnownIssues page states it will be fixed shortly, which (to me) means they want it fixed before release.

The whole Rev 4.0 project is obviously a mammoth task for the engineers, and the browser plug-in is indubitably gobbling up the most time. A little more clarity about what exactly is in and what is out in the first release, would be nice. But at this point, I'd prefer that we all enter our reports into the Quality Center, and let the engineers focus on the fixes.

Would it be great if our revlets were on par with Java applets from day one? Sure, but the Java browser plug-in has been refined over the past decade-and-a-half. And how long has Flash been out in the wild? What to think of Microsoft Silverlight and its large team of engineers?

I don't expect the first version of our revlets to have everything those behemoths have. But I do know they'll get there eventually - and what's most important, I'll be able to deliver working revlets in a fraction of the time I'd spend building them with the other platforms I've mentioned.

Rev in the browsr is like Rev on the desktop: you'll always find a language and framework that does more, but the strength of revTalk lies in productivity.

Jan Schenkel
=====
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====