revEnterprise dp-5 / revMedia beta / revWeb beta

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 14:20:44 EDT 2009

Kevin Miller wrote:
> Hi everyone,

< snip >
> A new revWeb plugin for Windows and OS X (Linux coming soon) is now
> available from:
>
> http://revweb.runrev.com/
>
> Major changes:
>
> Plugin has been re-engineered. This is the third and final (for 4.0) version
> of the architecture.
>
> This version resolves most of the short-comings of the previous 'alpha'
> version:
>     - plugins can now run in multiple browsers simultaneously
>     - orphaned processes will not be left around after plugin instances quit
>     - if a plugin causes the engine to crash/exit, the browser will not be
> affected
>     - system dialogs and answer alerts now layer correctly above the browser
>     - popup menus from option and buttons etc. now function correctly
>     - separate 'WebKit' version of the plugin for running under Safari
> (therefore 64-bit Safari on Snow Leopard works with the plugin)
>     - the plugin works in IE Protected Mode
>     - non-Roman languages can now be typed into fields [those requiring IMEs
> (Chinese, Japanese etc.) do not yet work on Mac OS X]

"the third and final (for 4.0) version"

so palettised stacks in revlets are totally *@%&ed in 4.0 !

This is ODD as I was led to understand that the problem with palettised
stack

Having attended the RunRev conference in Edinburgh I returned to Bulgaria
confident in the knowledge that I could go ahead with my development of
a program/revlet that uses some 50-ish palettised substacks as at the
release
of 4.0 (about 14 days from now) all would be well.

Beyond that one problem my program worked perfectly as a revlet:
now it is totally useless and can only be developed into a fully-fledged
standalone.
I had intended to release my 'Sanskrit Typewriter' on a Freemium model,
whereby the web-based version was FREE, and the standalone version, with
more features, would be for money; the former attracting folk to buy the
latter. That whole business model is now down the tubes; as is a lot of my
confidence in RunRev's promises, pronouncements and so forth.

One wonders why there has been so much hype about the revWeb 'thing' when,
as development progresses it seems to lose features rather than gain them.

Obviously I am (as my English grandmother used to say) "green as a
cabbage looking."

I cannot believe I am the only programmer who has got him/herself "in a
stew"
about this.

[Well, I suppose, even if nothing else, many users of this list will
learn some happy idioms,
similes amd metaphors that are not included in standard EFL courses . .