Dispatch-Sending keyDown

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Oct 26 14:30:20 EDT 2009

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Perhaps HC allowed you to send message to any arbitrary point in the
> message path beyond the current script regardless whether or not there's
> a handler for it there as a more verbose alternative to "pass".  But as
> I explained in detail earlier there are reasons why Rev doesn't work the
> same way with messages, and instead requires that you use the method
> which is simpler and faster in both xtalks, "pass <messageName>".

I think Craig's question is more basic. He wonders why sending some
keywords to a stack will then pass that message along the hierarchy
automatically if the target object doesn't have a matching handler, but
sending other keywords doesn't. I.e.:

send "beep" to this stack -- passes it through the message path

send "keydown" to this stack -- stops the message with an error at the
stack level

I have an untested theory. Command keywords will pass through the
hierarchy, but system messages won't. ("Beep" is a command. "Keydown" is
a system message.) I'm not sure what built-in functions would do but I'm
guessing they'd act like command keywords.

No time to test or verify; maybe someone else can.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com