SEND IN TIMe

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Oct 20 20:26:14 EDT 2009

Terry Dennis wrote:

> OK, I've finally had my fill of this glitch.  I haven't been able to figure
> out what causes it, so I will describe the process here and see if anybody
> else can figure out a work-around, or agrees that it's a bug.
>
> "SEND message TO ME IN nnn SECONDS" works fine as long as there is nothing
> else happening in my PC at the time.  I've had it run for entire weekends
> with no problems.  The interval is set to 7 Minutes.
>
> However, during weekdays when I am doing some other activity, it
> occasionally hiccups.  It happens several  times during the day -- where
> "several" can be as many as a dozen, depending on how busy I am.  I
> frequently have multiple non-Rev windows open performing several different
> tasks, some of which are CPU intensive.  That's when my Rev application
> doesn't re-trigger itself.  At least it doesn't appear to.
>
> It appears that the message is not sent -- or not received?  Maybe the
> message is triggered only if Rev gets control during the EXACT second
> (tick?) that it's supposed to be sent, and Rev doesn't get control until
> AFTER that second?  There is nothing in the message handler that checks for
> the time it is received.  It just takes the message and does its thing.

I don't have an answer to that, as I've always had sent message handled
well as soon as the next idle hits.

But FWIW, I also just tested "wait", using:

wait 300 secs; answer "done!"

I saw no noticeable change in my CPU history as displayed in Apple's
Activity Monitor.

I suppose it would be better to use "wait...with messages", but even
without the "with messages" it doesn't seem to drag the system; "with
messages" or normally only truly necessary when you need other events
triggered within Rev.

HTH -

--
  Richard Gaskin