how to preserve character set encoding when creating a text file?

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Tue Oct 20 18:54:25 EDT 2009

In Czechoslovakia, the "Application Data" folder on Windows XP is
called "Data aplikací". So, when we get specialfolderpath("26"), the
path looks something like this:

C:/Documents and Settings/Username/Data aplikací/OurFolder/

In Rev, all works fine.

But when we create a regular text batch file:

    put tBatchCommands into URL ("binfile:" & theBatchFileLoc())

the Czech character is transformed into this:

     C:/Documents and Settings/Username/Data aplikacÌ/OurFolder/

and when running the batch file, the system cannot find the path.

Obviously we are messing up the character encoding when we write the
text file and the (one character, in our case) is changed.

Has anyone run into this or know how to preserve character encoding in
our text file?