[on-rev] uniEncode & outputting accentuated characters from an on-rev textFile

Robert Maniquant rman at free.fr
Mon Oct 12 14:59:03 EDT 2009

Could somebody confirm what the state is regarding on-rev and accentuated non
ascii characters that we use in french???

-- I am building a CMS server on my on-rev account.
-- At some point, The CMS loads a simple text file with html tags into
variable vtext, and out"put" vText on screen.
-- this text file is edited directly in the on-rev environment on my
macbook. As I'm french, I included some accentuated chars (bad boy!)
-- the html charset declaration of the site is charset=utf-8

:confused:Problem is : accentuated chars. render with a ? question mark in a
square.

:working:-- So, I read all I could on encoding... forums and else...
-- Then tried to add :

     put uniDecode(uniEncode(vText,"UTF16"),"UTF8") into vText => vText is
EMPTY!
     put uniDecode(uniEncode(vText),"UTF8") into vText => vText is EMPTY!

     put uniDecode(uniEncode(vText,"UTF8"),"UTF8") into vText => vText is
there BUT accentuated chars are deleted or do not show!?

-- If I switch charset to charset=iso-8859-1, I get some Z instead of ?, but
still no accents.

There is a post on the on-rev forum about using uniencode : it says that
text encoding has not been dealt with so far in the on-rev environnment. I'm
a little worried... !!

:drunk:So the question are :
1) how are characters encoded within irev files on the onrev server???
(ASCII? UTF?)
2) in practice how can we output french accentuated letters to HTML in that
simple context?

thanks.. (a little prayer!)
Robert