Practical limits on object counts

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Oct 2 20:44:53 EDT 2009

I may have the opportunity to build a UI which has an unusually high
number of objects on the card.

So to see what can and can't be done, I made a couple tests stacks and
threw some objects on them.  Lots of objects.  Thousands.

I found that 5,000 objects render, react to clicks, and save with
admirable performance, but boosting that to 10,000 introduces a
noticeable lag time on things like responding to clicks.

Have any of you worked on stacks with an insane number of objects on a
card (>5,000)?

What issues did you encounter?

I have some strategies for reducing the object count if needed, but at
the moment I'm more interested in learning what the practical limits of
the engine are with regard to handling large numbers of objects.

TIA -

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World