OT: Rio 2016

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Fri Oct 2 19:57:14 EDT 2009

On Oct 2, 2009, at 7:33 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> The 2000 Olympics were in Sydney, Australia and they were held in
> September, which is spring in the southern hemisphere while not being
> too far from summer for the northern athletes. I imagine the Rio games
> will be held at a similar time during the year.

It might not be though. Rio is over ten degrees closer to the Equator
than Sydney is. It's closer than Miami is. I was in the middle east
for a while, though I was slightly closer to the Equator than Rio is,
still, the coldest it got in the year was still in the 70s.

As you can see here, the coldest months in Rio still average 70 degrees:

http://www.holiday-weather.com/rio_de_janeiro/averages/