Snow Leopard kills all document-based standalones?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 17 18:03:04 EST 2009

--- On Tue, 11/17/09, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
> We've had some discussion here about
> the Rev IDE breaking under Snow Leopard; specifically, in
> v3.5 double-clicking a .rev file would launch Rev okay but
> Rev wouldn't open the file.
>
> IIRC at the heart of the problem was that the file paths
> passed to the app in the odoc event were in a different
> format than before, so any attempt to use those would result
> in a "can't find file" error.
>
> This is reportedly fixed in v4.0, but for one of my apps
> I'd like to see if I can fix this with the v3.5 engine.
>
> Unfortunately, Ken and I walked through a few different
> scenarios this morning and can no longer replicate the
> problem with v3.5.
>
> It may be useful to note that the system we tested on is
> running OS X 10.6.2, but nothing in Apple's release notes
> suggest they've fixed the issue on their end.
>
> So my questions for you folks are:
>
> - Anyone here experience this in your own standalones?
>
> - Do you have a recipe for reproducing it?
>
> - Either way, which version of Snow Leopard are you
> running?
>
> TIA -
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin

Hi Richard,

I blogged about this very problem a few weeks ago, including a workaround:
<http://quartam.blogspot.com/2009/10/revolution-snow-leopard-and-appleevent.html>

With Quartam Reports Layout Builder, I can reproduce this problem every time. Maybe my standalone's .plist is different from yours, but it still happens with the Rev 3.5 compiled standalone on MacOSX Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on my MacBook.

Double-clicking a .qrl file, dragging it onto the Dock icon of the standalone, all fails with some strange URL-like path in the appleevent data, regardless of the app being opened beforehand or not.
Example filepath (enclosing in <> to make sure it stays in one piece): <file://localhost/Quartam%20Reports%201.1.4/Sample%20layouts/sample1.qrl>

Jan Schenkel
=====
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====