reStructuredText in RevTalk ?

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Tue Nov 10 18:53:46 EST 2009

Alex,

The "usual" approach would be to strip ALL tags, while possibly
leaving some "whitelisted" tags behind. As you suspect, it would be a
monumental task to consider all possible HTML messes a person could
create, but the whitelist approach works fairly well. It won't of
course take care of unbalanced tags.

It would be nice if On-Rev gained a built-in function for this. There
is a PHP function for exactly this task:
http://php.net/manual/en/function.strip-tags.php

One other approach would be to strip all tags for safety purposes, and
then use your own markup in lieu of HTML. For example, an asterisk at
the beginning of a line would correlate to a list item. A line break
would just be a line break. A double line break would become a
paragraph. Etc. If all you need are those basic tags, it shouldn't
matter much that you aren't leveraging people's HTML skills. Most
templating systems implement their own syntax for this reason --
people simply can't be trusted to hand code HTML.

HTH